Highway 181 in Karnes County open in both directions after 18-wheeler crash is cleared

Rollover closed highway for over eight hours

FILE - Shown is a Philadelphia police car with flashing lights in Philadelphia, Monday, Jan. 17, 2022. Police departments reported a year-over-year increase in sworn officers in 2023 for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic began and since the 2020 police killing of George Floyd spurred nationwide protests and increased scrutiny of police, according to a survey released by the Police Executive Research Forum. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File) (Matt Rourke, Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

KARNES COUNTY, TexasUPDATE, 10:13 p.m. Monday:

After over eight hours, Highway 181 in Karnes County is open in both directions.

The Karnes County Sheriff’s Office said in an updated Facebook post that the highway was back to normal after an 18-wheeler carrying jet fuel rolled over, prompting the closures.

ORIGINAL:

Both directions of State Highway 181 in Karnes County are closed after a semi-truck carrying jet fuel rolled over, the Karnes County Sheriff’s Office said.

The crash occurred at 1:20 p.m. near the Karnes and Wilson County line.

TxDOT Corpus Christi posted a tweet to X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, about the closures and contents of the 18-wheeler.

An update to KCSO’s Facebook page just after 5:20 p.m. said the road closures are expected to last into the evening.

KCSO reported minor injuries and did not believe the public was in danger as the materials were localized to the crash site, the post said.

Northbound traffic is being diverted at SH 181 and FM 887 on the north side of Falls City, and southbound traffic is being diverted at SH 181 and CR 202 on the south end of Wilson County.

The sheriff’s office said traffic control measures are being set up at the intersection of SH 181 and FM 541 in Poth to further alleviate congestion.

***Update*** At approximately 9:50 PM, US Hwy 181 in both directions has been re-opened for travel. Stay safe Karnes...

Posted by Karnes County Sheriff's Office on Monday, June 10, 2024

Mason Hickok is a digital journalist at KSAT. He graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a communication degree and a minor in film studies. He also spent two years working at The Paisano, the independent student newspaper at UTSA. Outside of the newsroom, he enjoys the outdoors, reading and watching movies.