Today is Wednesday, Sept. 30, the 274th day of 2020. There are 92 days left in the year.
Today’s Highlight in History:
- In 1962, James Meredith, a Black student, was escorted by federal marshals to the campus of the University of Mississippi, where he enrolled for classes the next day; Meredith’s presence sparked rioting that claimed two lives.
On this date:
- In 1777, the Continental Congress — forced to flee in the face of advancing British forces — moved to York, Pennsylvania.
- In 1791, Mozart’s opera “The Magic Flute” premiered in Vienna, Austria.
- In 1912, the Columbia Journalism School in New York held its first classes.
- In 1938, after co-signing the Munich Agreement allowing Nazi annexation of Czechoslovakia’s Sudetenland, British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain said, “I believe it is peace for our time.”
- In 1939, the first college football game to be televised was shown on experimental station W2XBS in New York as Fordham University defeated Waynesburg College, 34-7.
- In 1949, the Berlin Airlift came to an end.
- In 1955, actor James Dean, 24, was killed in a two-car collision near Cholame, California.
- In 1972, Roberto Clemente hit a double against Jon Matlack of the New York Mets during Pittsburgh’s 5-0 victory at Three Rivers Stadium; the hit was the 3,000th and last for the Pirates star.
- In 1984, the mystery series “Murder, She Wrote,” starring Angela Lansbury, premiered on CBS.
Actor Angie Dickinson is 89. Actor Fran Drescher is 63. Country singer Marty Stuart is 62. Actor Debrah Farentino is 61. Actor Crystal Bernard is 59. Actor Eric Stoltz is 59. Rapper-producer Marley Marl is 58. Country singer Eddie Montgomery (Montgomery-Gentry) is 57. Rock singer Trey Anastasio is 56. Actor Monica Bellucci is 56. Rock musician Robby Takac (Goo Goo Dolls) is 56. Actor Tony Hale is 50. Actor Jenna Elfman is 49. Actor Marion Cotillard is 45. Former tennis player Martina Hingis is 40. Olympic gold medal gymnast Dominique Moceanu is 39. Actor Lacey Chabert is 38. Actor Kieran Culkin is 38. Singer-rapper T-Pain is 36.