SAN ANTONIO – Residents at a Northwest Side apartment complex had to be evacuated following a massive fire early Tuesday morning.
The fire was called in around 5:40 a.m. at the Sugar Hill Apartments in the 8300 block of Greatview Drive, not far from Callaghan Road and Interstate 10.
Firefighters said when they arrived, they found flames coming through the roof of the three-story apartment building. They battled the blaze from the outside.
San Antonio Fire Department Chief Charles Hood said everyone made it out of the building safely. A neighbor told KSAT12 he went around, waking everyone up.
Officials say the apartment building has total of 18 units, spread out across three sections with six in each, divided by a breezeway. Six units had fire damage and another had water damage, Chief Hood said.
Firefighters also tore out sheetrock from the ceiling in another apartment to make sure the fire didn’t spread. An investigator says it looks like the fire is related to smoking, as a cigarette was left smoldering on the balcony of a third floor apartment.
One resident had blisters on his feet from the heat when he ran out of his apartment and was evaluated at the scene. His feet are bandaged, but he did not go to a hospital.
The other nine apartments in the building will soon be opened up for people to return, officials said.
According to the San Antonio Fire Department website, as many as 30 units answered the call.
This is a developing story. Stay with KSAT12 both online and on-air for more information.