University Health breaks ground on Northeast Side hospital

500-600 jobs expected to come from the hospital

The full-service hospital will sit on 42 acres next to the Retama Park racetrack in Selma. (University Health)

SELMA, Texas – University Health broke ground Wednesday on the system’s second new hospital of the new year.

The full-service hospital will sit on 42 acres next to the Retama Park racetrack in Selma.

The 100-thousand-square-foot medical office building located on the hospital grounds near Lookout Road and Retama Parkway will bring a range of specialty care options closer to residents along a growing I-35 corridor.

The Retama Hospital is the hospital system’s second construction project this year. In January, construction began on the Palo Alto hospital on the South Side.

Construction is set to begin this spring on University Health Wheatley, another public health and primary care facility on the East Side at I-10 and Loop 410.

Design concepts for the Retama Hospital are said to mirror the Palo Alto Hospital, a University Health news release said.

The five-story hospital will house 166 inpatient beds by early 2027, with space to expand to 286.

A full range of health and lab services will allow residents to access healthcare options outside San Antonio’s Medical Center.

The hospital is expected to boost the local economy, with 500-600 jobs coming from the location.

Also on KSAT:

Mason Hickok is a digital journalist at KSAT. He graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a communication degree and a minor in film studies. He also spent two years working at The Paisano, the independent student newspaper at UTSA. Outside of the newsroom, he enjoys the outdoors, reading and watching movies.