Bexar County officials provide update on roads, shelter, medical oxygen

Last updated at 1:25 p.m. Thursday

Snowy highway in San Antonio. (KSAT)

SAN ANTONIO – Bexar County officials have provided the following updates related to roads, power, shelter and closures in the area.

See below for a comprehensive list of changes that are affecting the area.

Road situation:

Our Public Works Department (PW) is monitoring the condition of County-maintained roadways and bridges. All PW crews continue to be on a 24-hour rotational schedule to ensure traffic safety. Our supply of de-icing materials and chat rock remains adequate. Sustained snow fall throughout the day and temperatures around freezing, with a significant drop again overnight, continue to create hazardous driving conditions. Drivers need to continue and use extreme caution, lower their speed, and increase their distance when following other vehicles. Be deliberate in your choice to venture out. Our crews will continue to monitor and treat while this weather situation lasts.

Shelter:

In Bexar County a variety of emergency shelters were made available:

- The Bexar County Office of Emergency Management continues to support the City of San Antonio’s warming center at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center with personal protective equipment and volunteers. Residents in need of transportation assistance can contact 3-1-1 for assistance.

- The Bexar County Fire Marshal’s Office has made available an emergency shelter option at their office. There is capacity for 20 people to stay overnight if needed and for an additional 20 people to warm up and charge their phones. COVID-19 safety protocols are in effect and those wanting to use the shelter are asked to call the Fire Marshal’s Office at (210) 335-0335 prior to coming out.

- The City of Converse emergency shelter for the Converse/Judson communities will continue to operate at the Judson High School Gymnasium, 9142 FM 78, Converse, TX 78109. This shelter will remain open overnight and has cots available. All COVID-19 protocols are being followed.

Medical oxygen:

Bexar County ESD No. 2 in conjunction with District 7 Fire Rescue have been working with the Bexar County Office of Emergency Management and the Southwest Texas Regional Advisory Council on Trauma (STRAC), to source medical oxygen. Area departments are actively working on providing this same service to their respective jurisdictions; however, we will work to support any request from a citizen of the county. This service will be provided from 02/17/21 through 02/21/21.

Residents of Bexar County may request assistance with the filling of their tank by one of two methods:

1) Call 210-508-3614 during the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

2) Send an email to oxygen@bc2fd.org

Fire Department staff will contact you to arrange having your tank brought to a fire station for refilling or delivered to your home if you are unable to travel. Tanks should be in working condition and prescribed by a licensed medical provider. We respectfully ask that you do not arrive at a fire station for this service as the buildings remain on COVID-19 restriction with personnel who may be actively responding to emergency calls.

PSA:

We are asking all citizens to continue their efforts to conserve power where they can and assist in maintaining the integrity of our power supply. Limit travel and stay home unless you absolutely have to venture out. For safety and preparedness tips, please go to our Office for Emergency Management website at https://www.bexar.org/678/Preparedness .

Stay Informed

As always, Your Weather Authority team will keep you updated. You can get the very latest forecast anytime by bookmarking our weather page and downloading the KSAT Weather Authority App - available for both Apple and Android devices.

Read also: