Fire forces evacuation at Days Inn near San Antonio airport
SAFD: Fire sparked by electrical short
SAN ANTONIO – Guests at a Days Inn near the San Antonio airport were evacuated after a fire broke out at the hotel early Thursday morning.
Smoke was spotted coming from the roof of the hotel on NE Loop 410 just after 5 a.m.
San Antonio firefighters responded and located the fire in a storage room of the hotel.
Up to 10 firefighting units went door-to-door to evacuate guests before battling the flames. A total of 18 guests were evacuated and no injuries were reported.
"I left everything in there. My wallet, my computer, my iPad, everything," said Francisco Bedran.
"I looked at the window, and there was people telling me to get out. And so we just ran outside," said Isabel Berry.
Other guests left after they heard fire alarms.
"I got up, went out the door and looked (but) I didn't see anything. I went back inside, turned the light on, called the office, and I asked if they have a fire, they said. 'Yes we do,'" said Gordon Washer.
San Antonio fire officials said it appeared there was an electrical short in an outlet and some towels on a housekeeping cart caught fire.
San Antonio fire Battalion Chief Walter Yates said newer building restrictions kept the fire from spreading. Damage estimates were unknown.
"The difference between this hotel and some of the others that we have is this is newer construction, so they have to have one-hour sheetrock, one-hour walls. That holds it to that one room," Yates said.
Copyright 2013 by KSAT.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.