Child hurt, 3 homes damaged in wind-whipped fire
Fire breaks out on Keats Street, believed to be caused by mattress near space heater
SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio firefighters responded to a fire that quickly spread to three Southwest Side homes and injured a child early Thursday morning.
Crews responded to the fire around 4 a.m. at a home in the 1400 block of Keats Street.
Officials say strong winds whipped up the fire and it spread to homes on both sides.
Fire crews put out the flames quickly, but two homes suffered interior damage while the third was damaged in the exterior.
Fire officials said the home that suffered the initial damage is considered a total loss.
A family of five inside made it out safe, but a child's hair was singed by the flames. The child was treated by paramedics at the scene.
Damages were estimated at $65,000. The cause is believed to be a space heater too close to a mattress, fire officials said.
Copyright 2015 by KSAT - All rights reserved.