Pedestrian deaths in San Antonio increased 40 percent in 2016

City hopes new funding for projects, education will cut down on numbers

SAN ANTONIO

A devastating trend is on the rise in San Antonio. Sixty-five pedestrians were hit and killed by cars last year. That's a 40 percent increase from 2015, when 46 people were killed, according to the city's Transportation and Capital Improvements department.

This spike is hitting as the city's new Vision Zero program finishes initial projects to lower pedestrian deaths. The big question is: What more needs to be done?

All day, people make risky darts across Guadalupe Street near Zarzamora on the West Side of town. On Wednesday, people were seen running across the same block where a 75-year-old man was hit by a car and killed Monday night.

New year, same problem.

However, to people who live near these so-called "pedestrian problem spots," it makes sense why some people take the risk.

"There's always been a problem with the sidewalk in this area. After a certain section, it's gone and you're forced to walk into the street," pedestrian Michael Buentello said.

"There's not enough crosswalks," pedestrian Jackie Constancio said, noting the space between each one.


About the Author: