Man who opened fire from overpass at Loop 1604, Hwy 281 killed by officer after airport shooting, police say

9 to 10 shots were fired from the flyover, police say

Someone fired nine to 10 shots from the flyover at Highway 281 and Loop 1604 Thursday morning, SAPD officials said. (KSAT)

SAN ANTONIO – Police say a man who opened fire from an overpass near Stone Oak on Thursday morning was shot and killed by a police officer after opening fire at the airport about four hours later.

Witnesses told police that they saw a man shoot from a flyover overpass at Loop 1604 and Highway 281 at about 10:30 a.m. Thursday. The suspect fired about 9-10 shots, according to San Antonio Police Chief William McManus.

Recommended Videos

No injuries were reported from the incident, he said.

Witnesses described the man as bald and wearing a red shirt. They said he was driving either a red Mini Cooper or a gray minivan, McManus said in a briefing near the scene.

Shell casings were found on the flyover and on the ground below, McManus said.

Hollywood Park Police Chief Shad Prichard posted a safety alert on the Nextdoor app asking drivers to avoid the area due to what he called an “active shooter investigation.”

Courtney Chambers witnessed the incident and told KSAT that she was in the H-E-B parking lot and had just put her child in his car seat when she heard what sounded like a truck backfiring.

She said when it started to sound more intentional, she turned around and saw a man standing on the overpass firing a gun.

“I was standing there speechless,” she said.

Chambers added that the suspect was “so nonchalant looking” and stood there for a minute “just popping off rounds.”

She said she witnessed him calmly walk back to his vehicle and drive off. “It was the strangest thing,” she said.

SAPD Chief William McManus confirmed Thursday afternoon that the shooter had been killed after opening fire outside the San Antonio International Airport.

McManus said at about 2:30 p.m., a man drove into the airport terminal going the wrong way. He got out of his vehicle and opened fire after he was confronted by a park police officer who was working overtime at the airport. The officer shot the gunman, who later died at the hospital.

McManus said police were familiar with the man because of previous interactions and said the man had “mental issues.”

Read also:

About the Authors:

Rebecca Salinas has worked in digital news for more than 10 years and joined KSAT in 2019. She reports on a variety of topics for KSAT 12 News.

Misael started at KSAT-TV as a photojournalist in 1987.