Security measures hamper fire fighting efforts
Sparking refrigeration unit blamed for fire at Bunny Tunes Ice Cream
SAN ANTONIO – Firefighters faced a dangerous situation early Wednesday morning when an ice cream warehouse caught fire near downtown.
When 11 fire units arrived around 4 a.m. at the Bunny Tunes Ice Cream warehouse in the 500 block of Culebra Road, thick smoke was billowing from the roof.
Firefighters faced a tough challenge trying to get into the 3,500-square-foot structure that was described by fire officials as a concrete oven.
With burglar bars inside and outside the windows and thick, steel doors, the incident commander called the situation "the kind of building firefighters get killed in."
"We're thinking of that, again, right off the get-go," San Antonio Fire Department spokesman Woody Woodward said. "It is a scary situation because it's hard for us to gain entry. It's hard for us to see once we're inside the building and determine exactly where the fire is and what we're dealing with."
The crews tried to cut a hole in the roof and eventually sawed through some metal to fan out the smoke.
About an hour later, the flames were out.
The 400 and 500 blocks of Culebra Road were closed in both directions for two hours.
A sparking refrigeration unit was blamed for the fire.
The frozen treats in freezers are still good to eat, San Antonio Metropolitan Health officials said.
Fire officials said businesses with a similar type of security should have a monitored alarm with an outdoor key stored in a Knox Box crews can access, Woodward said.
Copyright 2016 by KSAT - All rights reserved.