Homeowner saves his 3 dogs after East Side home catches fire
At least 10 units responded to 200 block of Cactus Street
SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Fire Department is investigating what led to an East Side home being engulfed in flames Wednesday evening.
An SAFD battalion chief said the homeowner was talking to his neighbor when he heard an explosion and then saw flames come from the back of his house. The battalion chief said they believe the explosion came from the home's water heater.
Several fire units responded around 5:09 p.m. to the home in the 200 block of Cactus Street, which is less than five blocks away from the Alamodome.
The battalion chief said despite the man going inside his home to rescue his three dogs, no injuries were reported. He said the man had been remodeling his home for some time.
The fire caused about $250,000 worth of extensive damage, along with an added estimate of $75,000 from the contents inside.
Copyright 2018 by KSAT - All rights reserved.