Suspect continues to barricade himself in home during standoff with Cedar Park police

3 officers were shot by the suspect and are hospitalized, officials say

Generic image of police lights. (pixabay)

AUSTINUpdate:

The suspect accused of shooting three Cedar Park police officers during a house call is still in a standoff with authorities, as of around 9 p.m. Sunday, officials said.

Cedar Park Police Chief Mike Harmon held a press conference and said the suspect is barricaded inside of the residence, along with three other individuals — his mother, a juvenile, and an unknown third person.

Negotiations are underway in an effort to end the standoff peacefully, but Chief Harmon said he and other officers had a message for the suspect.

In part, Harmon said, “If you’re listening to this... please come out and surrender yourself peacefully so we can resolve the situation tonight.”

The officers that were injured and hospitalized from the gunfire are still in stable condition at an area hospital, according to Harmon.

The incident first began around 3 p.m. when officers were called for service at a residence in the 2400 block of Natalie Cove in the Heritage Park subdivision.

The suspect’s mother had contacted police, claiming her son had kicked in the door and was acting aggressive, police said.

Update on Officer-Involved Shooting

Posted by Cedar Park Police Department on Sunday, August 16, 2020

Once officers arrived on scene and went inside of the home, they were met with gunfire, according to officials.

The three officers returned gunfire and police said it is unknown if the suspect was hit. After the officers were shot, police said they were able to get outside, get to safety and call for help.

The suspect then barricaded himself inside of the residence.

Authorities said they are still in contact with the family members and the suspect.

This is a developing story and we’ll bring more details as they become available.

Original:

Three Cedar Park police officers were shot and are now hospitalized after responding to a house call, according to Cedar Park police.

The incident happened Sunday evening near a home off of Natalie Cove in the Heritage Park subdivision, near Austin.

According to police, the shooting broke out as the three officers were responding to a house call in the area.

A suspect is currently barricaded inside of the home and is not yet in custody, officials said.

Three officers were shot and are hospitalized from their injuries; however, all are in stable condition, police said.

The City of Cedar Park has issued a shelter in place order for that area of the city as police officers respond to the active shooter.

Residents are being asked to lock all their doors and windows until the shelter in place is lifted.

This is a developing story and we’ll continue to update this story as details become available.

Governor Greg Abbott released the following statement about the incident:

“Our hearts are with the police officers who were injured while protecting the Cedar Park community this afternoon. We must never take for granted the service and sacrifice of our law enforcement officers, and the State of Texas stands ready to provide the support and resources needed to bring justice to those involved. I ask that all Texans join Cecilia and me in prayer for these officers, and for the safety of all law enforcement officers across the state.”

RELATED: Five people shot at South Side flea market, San Antonio police chief says

About the Authors