BCSO corporal accused of murder in California arrested

Cpl. Giovanni Ceja was arrested in San Antonio, will be extradited to California to face charges

SAN ANTONIO – A Bexar County Sheriff’s Office corporal was arrested in San Antonio for murder while on vacation in California, according to Sheriff Javier Salazar.

According to Salazar, Giovanni Ceja, 31, borrowed a vehicle from a relative on the night of Aug. 6 and struck and killed a man on the side of Interstate 215 in Riverside County.

Ceja fled from the scene. However, the sheriff said pieces of the vehicle were left behind.

Between Aug. 6 and Aug. 14, Ceja returned to San Antonio and resumed his duties with the department.

On Monday, BCSO received a call from the Riverside County Sheriff’s Office stating they had an active murder warrant for Ceja.

After he was arrested without incident, Ceja was booked and is awaiting his extradition back to California to face charges.

When asked why Ceja did not disclose what happened, Salazar directly expressed his frustration.

“Quite frankly, I’m furious,” he said.

Ceja is charged with driving under the influence, murder, and hit-and-run causing death.

Ceja was a 5-year veteran with the sheriff’s office. He was hired on Jan. 6, 2018. He resigned from his position at BCSO.

Mason Hickok is a digital producer trainee at KSAT. He graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a communication degree and a minor in film studies. He also spent two years working at The Paisano, the independent student newspaper at UTSA. Outside of the newsroom, he enjoys the outdoors, walking his dogs and listening to podcasts.