Fall is officially here, and to kick off all the wonderful flavors of apples and cinnamon, H-E-B’s chef Scott Tompkins has the perfect recipe for breakfast.
- 1 qt water
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar '
- 1/4 Tsp kosher salt
- 1 whole vanilla bean, split in half, beans scraped and used
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 large cosmic crisp apples, diced, approximately
- 4 cups 2 cup(s) Vanilla Greek yogurt, or as needed for serving
- 2 cup(s) Kind Almond Butter Whole grain clusters, or any granola
- In a medium-sized pot with a tight-fitting lid add water, sugar, salt, vanilla, lemon juice and apples.
- Bring to a low boil, then cover pot and turn off heat.
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes or until apples are very tender and easily pierced with a toothpick.
- Strain off liquid place apples into a container with and refrigerate until fully cooled. For best results refrigerate apples overnight. To serve, place yogurt into bowls, top with apples and finish with granola. Drizzle honey to garnish if desired.
- Chef’s note: Save the apple poaching liquid for another use. It can be reduced and used as a cocktail mixer or flavor enhancer to drinks.
H-E-B recommends trying Austin Eastciders Pineapple Cider for a beer pairing to go along with the dish, and if you prefer wine, go with Prima Mazzo Moscato D’Asti.
[Related: How to grill vegetables and fruits from Chef Scott, Recipe: Garlicky butternut squash and ground turkey, Recipe: 20-minute air fryer green chili chicken bake, Recipe: Jalapeño dog with crispy BBQ onions, Recipe: Grilled Mahi Mahi tostadas, Recipe: Cucumber mint and lime mocktail margarita, Recipe: Tomato, jalapeño and cheesy bread salad]
Check out more fall recipes from H-E-B here.