SAPD identifies officer involved in fatal shooting at Chacho's

Officer Robert Encina placed on administrative duty; Marquise Jones identified as suspect


San Antonio police have released the names of the officer and the suspect involved in a fatal shooting outside Chacho's & Chalucci's restaurant on Perrin Beitel Road.

The officer was identified as Robert Encina, who has been with the department for six years.

According to a news release, Encina was off-duty and working security in uniform when he shot Marquise Jones, 23, in the parking lot.

Jones was a passenger in a car that was involved in a minor accident. After the accident, a dispute broke out, police said.

"He (Encina) is talking with the driver of the vehicle. He sees the passenger of the vehicle fidgeting around, reaching for something toward his waistband.  He orders the man to stop," said Police Chief William McManus.

"(The man) gets out of the car and pulls a gun on the officer," McManus said.

McManus said Encina then fired several times at Jones, who then tried to run away.

"The officer thinks that he hadn't hit him and calls for cover. And then the suspect, as he was running, dropped in the parking lot," McManus said.

Jones' family said they don't believe the story police are telling. Whitney Jones, Marquise's sister, said she was by her brother's side seconds before he was shot and killed.

"It wasn't one shot, two shots ... he just kept shooting, like all I could do in the back seat is close my ears and scream," said Whitney Jones.

She believes her brother was scared and just wanted to get away from the situation, so he tried to run in the opposite direction.

"My brother did not turn around and shoot no gun at no cop. He had nothing in his hand when he got out the car," said Whitney Jones.

Marquise had a lengthy criminal record. Whitney Jones admitted her brother had run-ins with the law, but he would never would have pulled a gun on an officer.

"He was a kind person, he was real sweet. If he had it, he made sure everybody had it. He tried to lookout for everybody. He loved his daughter like no tomorrow," said Whitney Jones.

Investigators spent several hours at the scene collecting evidence, including what they believe was Jones' gun.

Encina, meanwhile, has been placed on administrative duty pending the results of the investigation, McManus said.

The Northeast Side restaurant has been the site of several past incidents involving police.

In June, more than a dozen officers responded to break up a fight that police said involved "hundreds" of people.

Another fight almost a year ago in March nearly ended with a shooting.

In both cases, officers had to use Taser weapons.

For a list of recent stories Katrina Webber has done, click here.

To view more videos, click here.