SAN ANTONIO – Felicio Flores II, the man accused in the beating of a 9-year-old boy, has been released from the Bexar County Jail after posting a $10,000 bond.
Jail records show he was released around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday after being arrested the previous day on a charge of injury to a child.
According to an arrest warrant affidavit, the boy told school officials on Tuesday that he was in too much pain to take part in his physical education class. Live Oak police investigated and said they noticed what appeared to be whip marks on his body.
A photo that detectives have in evidence shows the torso of a small person with several open wounds that have pieces of skin missing.
The affidavit said the boy told investigators that Flores had beaten him the previous day, both with a phone charger cord and a backscratcher.
Police said the boy's self-esteem took a beating when he was sent to school dressed in a suit and with his hair shaved on one side "in an unusual way." The affidavit stated that they believe that the boy's appearance was meant to be humiliating.
Sgt. Kevin McGuire, the lead detective in the case, said that agents with Child Protective Services "responded to the scene immediately" after he called them.
According to the affidavit, other children live in the home, and investigators believe the boy's mother knew about the beating. McGuire said on Wednesday morning that he did not know whether any of the children had been removed from the home.
The mother also is not facing any charges at this time. McGuire said the investigation is ongoing.
Although police declined to say specifically which school the child attends, they did say it is not in the Judson Independent School District, which serves that area.
They said his mother is in the military, and that the boy attends a school on a local base.