Be wary of mushroom poisoning in dogs following heavy rains

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning can vary by dog

SAN ANTONIO – Recent rainy weather has led to an increase of mushrooms on the ground and heavy rains usually leave Fido feeling cooped up inside the house and ready for a long walk.

However, the seemingly harmless mushrooms that can be found along greenbelts and paths after recent rains in San Antonio could be detrimental to your dog’s health. It’s important to be vigilant when walking your dog due to the increase of mushrooms.

Mushroom poisoning occurs as a result of ingesting toxic mushrooms, which is a common hazard for dogs because of the amount of time they spend outdoors or in wooded areas, according to PetMD.

Symptoms of poisoning differ depending on the type of mushroom ingested and can vary by dog.

The following are symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Weakness
  • Lethargy
  • Yellowing of the skin
  • Uncoordinated movements
  • Excessive drooling
  • Seizures
  • Coma
Mushrooms pushing through the ground after heavy rains in San Antonio. (KSAT 12)

If you see your pet ingest a mushroom, try to salvage a piece of the mushroom to take to the vet with you.

It could help in determining whether or not the mushroom is poisonous.

Related: Snake sightings could increase after rainy weather in San Antonio-area

About the Author:

Mary Claire Patton has been a journalist with KSAT 12 since 2015. She has reported on several high-profile stories during her career at KSAT and specializes in trending news and things to do around Texas and San Antonio.