Man accused of child abuse re-arrested after violating bond agreement, court records show

Rickey Lee Billoups III, 19, is being held in the Bexar County Jail

Pictured is Rickey Lee Billoups III, 19. (KSAT)

SAN ANTONIO – A man accused of child abuse was re-arrested by San Antonio police after violating his bond agreement, court records show.

Rickey Lee Billoups III, 19, was re-arrested on Friday after having been released on partial house arrest in February as he awaited indictment, Bexar County court records show.

Billoups was originally arrested in January after a child in his care was found to have lacerated organs and broken ribs, believed to be from abuse, according to an arrest affidavit.

He’s charged with injury to a child causing serious bodily injury, stemming from an incident on Sept. 19, 2021.

Last month, Billoups was ordered to be on full house arrest with the same bond conditions of no firearms and no contact with children, according to court records. Since the violation, his bond increased to $250,000.

The charge stems from after police were called by hospital staff to investigate a 1-year-old girl’s “unexplained injuries.”

According to an arrest affidavit, doctors found the child had a lacerated kidney and liver, an acute non-displaced fracture on her left 10th rib and a healing fracture of her 9th right rib.

The child was taken to the hospital by her grandmother and medical staff claimed if she hadn’t been brought in, the child faced “a substantial risk of death,” an affidavit states.

Police said the child was left in Billoups’ care after her mother dropped her off and went to a nearby Walmart with family members.

Billoups is not the biological father of the child, according to SAPD, but the child was left in his care for 20 minutes before he reached out to her mother.

He told the child’s mother she needed to come home because the child was “crying uncontrollably,” the affidavit states.

Police said Billoups then reached out to the child’s mother through Instagram, saying she was “drowsy and incoherent.”

When the child’s mother returned home, she called EMS. When EMS arrived, they couldn’t tell what was wrong with the child, but told her mother to monitor her overnight.

Shortly after EMS left the home, the child vomited, according to the affidavit.

Video surveillance obtained by SAPD showed the child’s mother was at Walmart for an hour and a half and left the child in Billoups’ care during that time.

Police spoke with hospital staff, who said the child’s injuries were from blunt force trauma and were “evidence of physical abuse.”

Billoups was taken into custody and is being held in the Bexar County Jail.

Also on KSAT:

About the Author:

Cody King is a digital journalist for KSAT 12. She previously worked for WICS/WRSP 20 in Springfield, Illinois.