SAN ANTONIO – With the rodeo season in full swing, try out this new recipe from H-E-B!
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided use
2 medium white onions, peeled, halved, and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded, cored, and diced
8 fl oz Big Red Soda
1 lime, zested and juiced
1/4 Tsp kosher salt
1/4 Tsp black pepper, ground
16 Oz H‑E‑B Barbacoa
2 Prime 1 Brisket Burgers, about 1 pound
8 H‑E‑B Bake Shop Texas Toast
1/4 cup(s) queso fresco, crumbled
1/2 cup(s) tortilla chips, crushed roughly
1 large avocado, pitted and sliced or cubed
1/4 cup(s) cilantro, rough chopped
1. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and onions, garlic, and jalapeño. Sauté 3 to 4 minutes until onions are softened.
2. Add Big Red, lime juice and zest. Stir and let cook until 3/4 of the liquid has been reduced. Season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and keep warm.
3. In a large bowl, mix together barbacoa and brisket burgers until combined. Form into four equal patties then season with salt and pepper.
4. Add remaining oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add burger patties and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 165ºF. Meanwhile, toast Texas toast slices.
5. To assemble, place a burger patty on a slice of Texas toast and top with Big Red onions, queso fresco, crushed tortilla chips, avocado and cilantro. Top with remaining toast and serve.