Family gets out of burning home thanks to quick-thinking neighbors
Family was in front of house, didn't know back was on fire
SAN ANTONIO – A family is lucky to be safe after their Southwest Side home went up in flames while they were inside. They got out unharmed, thanks to quick-thinking neighbors.
The fire battalion chief at the scene said the cause of the fire is believed to be electrical.
The fire happened about 4:45 p.m. Tuesday in the 8600 block of Port of Call Drive.
One by one, firefighters walked out the same doors that smoke and flames were billowing from just 30 minutes earlier.
"By the time we got to the house, the flames were up over the house," neighbor Michael Jordan said.
Others saw dark smoke rising from the home from miles away.
Jordan lives right across the street and when he saw fire shooting from the back of the home, he sprang into action.
"(My) first instinct was to go run over to the house and make sure everybody was out," Jordan said.
Family members told KSAT at least five of them were in the front part of the house and didn't even know the fire had started in the back.
Jordan and two other men were the ones to tell them.
"We just explained to them their house was on fire and they needed to get out right now," Jordan said.
They all hurried out, including the family dog, and no one was hurt. Watching the home burn was an emotional sight for them.
"There was an awning back there. (It) seems to be electrical in nature. The fire had burned long enough to break through the back window and get into the house," San Antonio fire Battalion Chief Brian O'Neill said.
Crews knocked the fire down quickly. O'Neill estimates about $60,000 in damage.
"It's not a total loss, but it's a major loss," O'Neill said.
"I pray for the entire family and hopefully they can move on from this," Jordan said.
Copyright 2017 by KSAT - All rights reserved.