DPS reports drowning in Rio Grande; 2 migrants rescued

Incident occurred south of Shelby Park near Eagle Pass

SAN ANTONIO – A multi-unit rescue effort occurred late Wednesday morning in the waters of the Rio Grande near Eagle Pass.

The incident occurred south of Shelby Park, according to Texas Department of Public Safety spokesperson Lt. Chris Olivarez.

In a post to X, formerly known as Twitter, Olivarez said the Texas National Guard, DPS and border patrol marine units responded to migrants crossing the river.

Two male adults, who Olivarez said were from Honduras and Guatemala, were rescued. A third — identified by the two migrants as a 35-year-old male from Nicaragua — was swept away in the river’s current, DPS said.

Olivarez said efforts to rescue the man’s body were unsuccessful.

Wednesday’s drowning comes less than a week since DPS officials recovered the body of a man in the river near Shelby Park.

About the Authors

Mason Hickok is a digital producer trainee at KSAT. He graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a communication degree and a minor in film studies. He also spent two years working at The Paisano, the independent student newspaper at UTSA. Outside of the newsroom, he enjoys the outdoors, walking his dogs and listening to podcasts.

Daniela Ibarra joined the KSAT News team in July 2023. This isn’t her first time in the KSAT newsroom– the San Antonio native spent the summer of 2017 as an intern. Daniela is a proud Mean Green alum, earning her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of North Texas.