2 dead following hours-long standoff in Austin

Residents in area were evacuated, police say

AUSTINUPDATE: Two people were found dead inside a doctor’s office in Austin late Tuesday night after an hours-long SWAT situation, the Austin Police Department said.

Austin Police were called to the Children’s Medical Group on Tuesday afternoon for a possible hostage situation.

Austin police said they found a gunman barricaded inside the building. They said they were eventually able to get a robot with a camera inside and identified a victim.

Authorities said they initiated rescue plans and that the situation has ended. Right now, it’s unclear if one of the deceased people located inside the building was the gunman.

Austin police said the incident is being investigated as a homicide. They expect to announce more information later Wednesday morning.

---

(Original Story)

The Austin Police Department reported that officers are responding to a “active and ongoing” SWAT situation in the 1900 block of West 35th Street.

Austin police have surrounded a medical office, evacuated residents from surrounding areas and told others to stay inside.

Area media outlets called the incident a “hostage situation,” however, it is still unclear how many people are involved.

According to police, the situation has been developing for hours. The initial disturbance call came in just before 4:30 p.m. about a man with a gun inside the building.

Cpl. John Majefski, an officer with the department’s public information office, said the department did not have very many details of the incident.

“Due to complexity and everything that goes on with all SWAT calls, we are asking everyone to stay clear of the area for right now,” Majefski said.

This is a developing story. Stay with KSAT 12 both online and on-air for more information.

Related: Police, Crime Stoppers seek clues in 2017 slaying of 24-year-old man in motel room

About the Authors

Ben Spicer is a digital journalist who works the early morning shift for KSAT.