Do you have plans for Mother’s Day on Sunday?
If you are going to see your mother for the big day, H-E-B chef Scott Tompkins has cooked up a new thick-cut apple pie French toast a la mode recipe mom will love!
Interested in free online classes hosted by H‑E‑B chefs? Click or tap here to sign up.
16-ounce H‑E‑B Vanilla Flavored Real Dairy Coffee Creamer
4 large eggs
16-ounce challah bread, cut into 4 slices (2 to 3 inches thick)
2 ounces unsalted butter
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or sea salt
2 cups piñata apples, peeled, cored and diced small
1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 pint vanilla ice cream, as needed for topping
1. Whisk together coffee creamer and eggs until creamy. Dip each slice of challah bread into custard and flip to coat each side well.
2. Place soaked slices onto a sheet pan fitted with a wire rack to allow excess custard to drain off. Let bread sit while preparing apples.
3. preheat oven to 350ºF.
4. Add butter, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt to a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat then add apples.
5. Continue to cook until apples are soft and liquid has reduced and become thick like a caramel, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Sprinkle sugar over the tops of soaked bread. Heat a large non-stick pan or griddle to medium-high.
7. Spray griddle or pan with non-stick spray and sear challah bread sugar-side down.
8. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until sugar is just caramelized, then flip and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Transfer toast back to wire rack and bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until bread is nicely soft and custard is cooked through.
10. To serve, place each slice of French Toast on a plate, drizzle apple sauce over the top and garnish with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
11. Chef’s note: Apples can be served warm to room temperature or simply reheat if preferred hot. Click here for the full recipe.
[Related recipes: Try ready-to-go meals, Recipe: Chermoula served with black-eyed peas, Recipe: Sheet pan bruschetta chicken with potatoes, Recipe: Southwestern turkey chopped salad, Recipe: Italian sliced steak tagliata, Recipe: Game day sausage and tater tot nachos, Recipe: Try this heart-shaped ribeye for Valentine’s Day, Recipe: Milk chocolate sea salt cremeux, Recipe: Carrot cake with Butterfinger cream cheese frosting, Recipe: Brown sugar banana bread, Recipe: Try this delicious crawfish boil, Recipe: Grilled Mahi taco with creamy avocado sauce, Recipe: Vegan burrito boats]
Get more dessert recipes and add ingredients to your H-E-B shopping list here.