San Antonio-based military-themed retailer Grunt Style opens new shop at Fort Sam Houston
click image Instagram / gruntstyleMilitary-themed apparel company Grunt Style opened a brick-and-mortar space at Fort Sam Houston this week. Military-themed apparel company Grunt Style opened a brick-and-mortar space at Fort Sam Houston this week, the first in a nationwide expansion, the San Antonio Business Journal reports The new store is at the Post Exchange Shopping Center, or PX, 2503 Funston Road — one of two retail locations Grunt Style plans to open this month.The second will be in Carol Stream, Illinois, where the company was headquartered prior to its 2017 relocation to San Antonio. Its production facility is still located there.Grunt Style was invited by Fort Sam Houston to open a store at the new PX, and "jumped on it like a grenade," Chief Strategy Officer Tim Jensen told the. "We are excited to be connected to our core customer and the military.”The new brick-and-mortar ventures are a shift from Grunt Style's traditional online sales, which Jensen toldaccount for more than 85% of its revenue.Jensen also told the publication that Grunt Style will open "a few more" stores around the country, both on and off military bases. The new space at Fort Sam hasn't yet been added to the PX's online roster.sacurrent.com
BAMC will begin administering COVID-19 vaccines to all TRICARE beneficiaries ages 65 and older
(U.S. Army photo by Corey Toye)SAN ANTONIO – The Brooke Army Medical Center will begin administering the COVID-19 vaccine to all TRICARE beneficiaries, ages 65 or older, next week by appointment only. BAMC announced the vaccine appointments on Saturday afternoon, and officials say they were able to open up appointments for beneficiaries ages 75 and older earlier this week. They were also able to increase capacity to allow more vaccine appointments at the Fort Sam Houston site. To obtain DS Logon credentials, click “Register.” To make an appointment, click “Appointments” on the portal home page. AdRelated: South Texas VA to host COVID-19 vaccine event for hundreds of veterans living on San Antonio’s South Side
Officials ID skeletal remains found on JBSA- Fort Sam Houston
Jerry Lara /Staff file photoThe skeletal remains found at Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston have been identified as Juan Santiago, according to a news release from the military base. Santiago had been missing since June and is not affiliated with the military, the release said. The skeletal remains were found on Dec. 27 near Salado Creek in the northeast part of the instillation. The news release did not say how old Santiago was.mysanantonio.com
Skeletal remains found at JBSA-Fort Sam Houston identified
SAN ANTONIO – Partial skeletal human remains found in late December at JBSA-Fort Sam Houston have been identified. Dental records and family members help identify the victim as Juan Santiago, according to JBSA officials. The victim lived in Massachusetts prior to moving to San Antonio in June 2020. The remains were found Dec. 27 near Salado Creek in the northeast part of the post by some people walking in the area. The Air Force Office of Special Investigations is continuing its probe into Santiago’s death.
Drill sergeant at Joint Base San Antonio shot, killed on New Year’s Day along I-10, officials say
SAN ANTONIO – A drill sergeant assigned to the U.S. Army Medical Center of Excellence on Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston has died from multiple gunshot wounds, according to the JBSA. Sergeant Jessica Mitchell, a 68E Dental Specialist, was pronounced dead at University Hospital San Antonio at around 3 a.m. on Friday, according to the JBSA. San Antonio Police Department and the Army’s Criminal Investigation Division are still investigating the situation. “We are devastated by the tragic loss of Drill Sergeant Jessica Mitchell. We are focused on supporting Drill Sergeant Mitchell’s family as well as her soldiers during this extremely difficult time,” said Maj. Gen. Dennis LeMaster, the MEDCoE Commanding General.
Human remains found at JBSA-Fort Sam Houston
SAN ANTONIO – Human skeletal remains were found Sunday night at JBSA-Fort Sam Houston, officials said. According to a news release, the remains were found near Salado Creek in the northeast part of the installation by some people who were walking in the area. The news release said there are no active missing person cases at JBSA and there is no danger to JBSA residents or the community. JBSA officials and the Air Force Office of Special Investigations are coordinating with local law enforcement on the investigation.
WATCH: Lackland Air Force base kicks off tree lighting ceremony, the first of several holiday celebrations
SAN ANTONIO – The holiday season is kicking off in Military City, USA, beginning with a tree lighting ceremony at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland on Wednesday. Each area base location will participate in the annual holiday event. Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph’s takes place on Dec. 3 and Joint Base-Fort Sam Houston’s will take place on Dec. 4. The ceremony will begin at 6 p.m., and a parade will follow the event beginning at 6:15 p.m., according to a statement from base officials. “The holiday season can be difficult, especially when away from loved ones,” base officials said in a statement.
Service member found dead at JBSA-Fort Sam Houston
SAN ANTONIO – A service member was found dead Wednesday at Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston, officials said. The service member’s name is being withheld pending notification of next of kin, a news release said. The incident is under investigation. No other information was released.
GI found dead in Fort Sam barracks
JERRY LARA /San Antonio Express-NewsA soldier was found dead Wednesday on Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston. Authorities did not release the circumstances or cause of death. Air Force Maj. Kim Bender, a spokeswoman for the joint base, said the soldier, who was not identified pending notification of family members, was found dead in a barracks.mysanantonio.com
'Mission Thanksgiving’ canceled, Fort Sam Houston officials say
SAN ANTONIO – Fort Sam Houston officials announced Monday that a popular holiday program where San Antonio community members provide a home-cooked meal to soldiers in medical training, would be canceled this year to prevent the spread of COVID-19. “Mission Thanksgiving” has been a tradition at Fort Sam Houston for more than 20 years, officials said. Last week, the 37th Training Wing announced the cancellation of “Operation Home Cooking” and “Operation Family Feast,” other similar programs for Airmen in basic military training and technical training. “We truly appreciate the hospitality the San Antonio community shows our soldiers during Thanksgiving, currently the risk is too high - our number one priority is to protect the health and readiness of the force,” LeMaster said. “We look forward to continuing this worthwhile tradition next Thanksgiving.”Related: San Antonio couple welcomes airmen, soldiers to enjoy home-cooking on Thanksgiving
250 Marines and sailors to assist wildland firefighting efforts in Central California, officials say
SAN ANTONIO – The U.S. Army North (Fifth Army), the U.S. Northern Command’s Joint Force Land Component Command (JFLCC), will oversee the second military wildland fire ground response in California this month. The command will be sending approximately 250 Marines and sailors to assist in firefighting efforts in Central California, officials said. Lt. Gen. Laura J. Richardson, the Fifth Army and JFLCC commander, said in a statement that Marines and sailors responding to the fire are prepared to support fire suppression efforts in a COVID-19 environment. “They are scheduled to deploy to Central California, Sept. 19, to receive hands-on training in fire suppression methods and procedures, including watch-out situations and standard firefighting orders, prior to employment in the national forest,” The Fifth Army said. According to officials, the 14th Brigade Engineer Battalion In Northern California from Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington, has assisted with wildland fire response efforts at the August Complex in the Mendocino National Forest since Sept. 3.
JBSA-Fort Sam Houston soldiers help South Texas Blood and Tissue Center with convalescent plasma operation
SAN ANTONIO As requests for COVID-19 convalescent plasma spiked in late spring and early summer, the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center needed more support, so a team from Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston stepped in and played a crucial role in collecting and distributing convalescent plasma. Twelve soldiers spent 30 days helping at the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center. Freed was part of the team of soldiers that helped at the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center in San Antonio. Freed said this job also helped soldiers gain experience for future deployments where they would need to collect blood during a mass casualty event. They expect to help the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center again.
9 men, including 3 soldiers, charged in child sex ring case, Texas authorities say
KILLEEN, Texas Central Texas authorities say theyve cracked a child prostitution ring involving nine men, including three soldiers. Two Fort Hood soldiers and one from Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio are among the nine suspects netted in their investigation, Killeen police said. Seven suspects, including the Fort Hood soldiers, were arrested on felony child prostitution charges. The other two, including the Fort Sam Houston soldier, were charged with misdemeanor prostitution. Meantime, the planned transfer of the Fort Hood commander to Fort Bliss to assume command of a division has been postponed.
Shooting victim dropped off outside JBSA-Fort Sam Houston gate
SAN ANTONIO A shooting victim was dropped off outside a gate at JBSA-Fort Sam Houston on Thursday morning. According to a Fort Sam Houston official, a man suffering from a gunshot wound was dropped off outside the gate on George Beach Road by someone in a car around 9 a.m.Air Force Security Force members treated the man at the scene and was transported to Brooke Army Medical Center. A condition on the man wasnt immediately available. The driver of the vehicle immediately fled the area. The San Antonio Police Department is investigating.
Soldier found dead at Fort Sam Houston identified; death under investigation, officials say
SAN ANTONIO The U.S. Army announced Tuesday that a soldier was found dead at Fort Sam Houston on Saturday, the soldier has been positively identified and his death is being investigated. Related: U.S. Army soldier found dead at Fort Sam Houston, officials sayThe Louisiana National Guard Public Affairs office said National Guardsman Sergeant Kelvonta K. Ellis, 22, from Westlake, Louisiana was found dead in his room at Fort Sam Houston on July 12. Ellis was part of Louisianas Army National Guards 39th Military Police Company, 139th Regional Support Group, the public affairs office said. According to officials, Ellis served five years in the Louisiana Army National Guard as a military police noncommissioned officer. Army officials say Ellis is survived by his mother.
U.S. Army soldier found dead at Fort Sam Houston, officials say
SAN ANTONIO – The military is investigating the death of a soldier at Fort Sam Houston, according to Joint Base San Antonio public affairs division. “A U.S. Army Soldier was found dead on Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston July 12,” a statement from JBSA said. “The service member’s name is being withheld pending next-of-kin notification.”The incident is under investigation by U.S. Airforce Security Forces and U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command. No other details were provided about the circumstances of the soldier’s death. KSAT will continue to update this story as details become available.
Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery to resume committal services
SAN ANTONIO – Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery will resume committal services for families who are interring their loved ones beginning Tuesday. “We are pleased to resume committal services and military funeral honors at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery,” said Cemetery Director Aubrey David. In keeping with federal, state and local guidance, committal and memorial services at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery will be limited to 10 family members and guests at the service. Families may also contact the National Cemetery Scheduling Office or the cemetery directly to schedule a memorial service after June 29. To make burial arrangements or schedule a memorial service at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery or any VA national cemetery, contact the National Cemetery Scheduling Office at 800-535-1117.
Memorial Day public ceremony at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery will not be held this year
SAN ANTONIO Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the traditional Memorial Day ceremony at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery has been canceled this year. The cemetery will also look different as the cemetery is also prohibiting groups from placing miniature flags at grave sites as in years past. Instead, a private wreath-laying ceremony will be held Wednesday, May 20, according to a news release. This year, by necessity, will be different from past Memorial Day observances, said Aubrey David, Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery director. Veterans, servicemembers, family members, and the community are encouraged to view Wednesdays ceremony through local media coverage.
More than 150 basic combat training graduates arrive at JBSA-Fort Sam Houston
SAN ANTONIO – More than 150 recent graduates of the Army’s Basic Combat Training in Fort Jackson, South Carolina, arrived at Joint Base San Antonio - Fort Sam Houston Friday in an unprecedented manner designed to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The soldiers, who have been training at Fort Jackson for the past several months, were screened daily over the last 14 days and one final time before traveling via chartered flight. The soldiers were screened a final time by drill sergeants wearing personal protective equipment before boarding sterile buses bound for Fort Sam Houston. The soldiers will begin training at the U.S. Army Medical Center of Excellence, or MEDCoE. This procedure of transportation will be reviewed every two weeks and is expected to be in place until June 30th.
JBSA limits gate access, increases health protections after 13 positive cases on bases
SAN ANTONIO – Joint Base San Antonio is ramping up safety precautions after more than a dozen employees tested positive for the novel coronavirus. JBSA said Sunday that gate access will be limited at Lackland, Randolph and Fort Sam Houston. 13 JBSA personnel test positive for coronavirusA total of 13 COVID-19 cases have been confirmed at JBSA after officials said Sunday that two additional personnel tested positive for the virus. The first COVID-19 death in San Antonio was confirmed over the weekend. First COVID-19 death reported in San AntonioThe victim was a woman in her 80s who died at Brooke Army Medical Center.
Invite a Fort Sam Houston soldier to your home for Thanksgiving
John Moore/Getty ImagesSAN ANTONIO - Registration is now open for local families to invite a Fort Sam Houston soldier into their home for Thanksgiving. For many young soldiers, Thanksgiving will be their first major holiday away from their family, and for some it can be a lonely time. Last year, 235 families and 700 soldiers participated in Mission Thanksgiving, which started more than 20 years ago. "San Antonio is a special city with special people," said 32nd Medical Brigade Commander Col. Charles H. O'Neal. Families interested in hosting a soldier can register online, send an email or call 210-669-7067.
Monster Jam pays visit to Fort Sam Houston
SAN ANTONIO - Monster Jam driver Camden Murphy and Bakugan Dragonoid made an Independence Day visit to Fort Sam Houston to greet and thank military families. During the week, new and unopened school supplies can be donated to Operation Homefront's Back-to-School Brigade campaign at the Alamodome Box Office. Donors will receive a free pit party pass for the Monster Jam event on Saturday. Since the program began in 2008, Operation Homefront has distributed more than 350,000 backpacks to military children nationwide. Monster Jam will also thank military families by donating 200 tickets to the event at the Alamodome.
Army captain helps save man shocked by lightning
Andrea De Stefani/freeimages.comSAN ANTONIO - A physician assistant from Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston sprang into action to help save a man who was struck by lightning, according to Joint Base San Antonio News. Officials told Blume a 21-year-old man had been shocked by lightning while delivering roofing materials. He was lifeless with burn exit wounds on both of his legs, Blume told Joint Base San Antonio News. Medics transported Favor to the U.S. Army Institute of Surgical Research Burn Center. Blume told Joint Base San Antonio News he did not think Favor would survive.
1 detained, 1 at large after security incident prompts lockdown at Fort Sam Houston
SAN ANTONIO - UPDATE 12 p.m.: An all clear was given at Fort Sam Houston and all operations have resumed as of 10:11 a.m. Friday. Security forces and San Antonio Police Department have identified the suspect at large and SAPD will be releasing their identity. UPDATE 10:30 a.m.: Officials have released the following information on the incident at Fort Sam Houston. pic.twitter.com/cfRbxfLt3P JointBaseSanAntonio (@JBSA_Official) November 9, 2018UPDATE 6:45 a.m.: The lockdown at Fort Sam Houston has reportedly been lifted. Fort Sam Houston ISD school buses are on a one hour delay this morning due to a situation on the installation.